Parents of preemies are thrown into a whole new world with the birth of their children – a world that is both frightening and unfamiliar. And yet in the face of these odds, moms and dads coping with prematurity show great strength and courage on a daily basis.
Parents of Preemies Day is a day for you to share how proud you are of not only your preemie, but also yourself. Your commitment is one of the greatest gifts you can give your child, and that deserves to be celebrated!
Here are some ways you can observe Parents of Preemies Day on the first Sunday in May:
1. Visit the Parents of Preemies Day Facebook page, follow, and post a picture of you and your preemie along with your story of hope and perseverance! With each photo you post you’re automatically entered into our weekly giveaways.
2. Help spread the word, especially among your friends and family – you can point them to this website or share any of the Parents of Preemies Day posts on social media.
3. Consider hosting a Parents of Preemies Day event, volunteer at a local event or attend one. If there is no event in your area, ask your NICU if you can plan something special for the families currently in residence.
4. Wear your Proud Preemie Parent Gear!
5. Introduce your NICU to Parents of Preemies Day! Ask if you can bring in treats (e.g., coffee and bagels, candy, or pastries) on the first Sunday in May and maybe even some Proud Preemie Parent Gear for the parents of babies currently in residence.
You can also share this flyer with the staff in your local NICU: NICU Awareness Mailing
6. Take pictures of yourself and your family and friends celebrating Parents of Preemies Day and post them on the Parents of Preemies Day Facebook page, on your own page, or on Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #parentsofpreemiesday.